Until about 3 weeks ago I never thought that I would be on the hunt for tasty, dairy-free treats! Since them, we have made some eye-opening discoveries that changed the menu forever for our milk-chugging, cheese-loving family!
A few weeks ago we found out that our youngest Little Farmer has severe food sensitivity to corn (a major food of cows) and my Farmer has a severe food sensitivity to cow’s milk itself. Needless to say, we have overhauled our diet considerably!
A New Way of Eating
This new way of eating has been an adjustment for us, but the results are 100% worth it! I look forward to sharing more in future posts about the positive changes we have experienced (hint: food sensitivities can certainly cause mood swings and irritability! I am a much happier wife and mama these days 🙂
This all came about as I began some intensive nutrition therapy training in specialized food sensitivity diets (LEAP Diet therapy) at the beginning of the year. I knew from the start that I would need to begin working with my own family! I plan to take my exam to be a Certified LEAP therapist (CLT) in the next few weeks.
Food as Medicine
It has been eye opening to realize how often food sensitivities are at the root of many common, chronic illnesses and conditions. I am such a hearty believer in “Food-As-Medicine” that this type of nutrition therapy resonates completely with me!
In the past few months I have been using the Mediator Release Test (MRT) to design a food plan for my clients that is “unique as their fingerprints.” The MRT test is the gold standard in food sensitivity testing. It tests for 120 different foods and 30 different food chemicals. Through this blood test we can determine which foods are causing inflammation and reaction for someone… and which foods their body recognizes as safe. (Here’s a great video by one of my mentors to help explain this process…)
I help my clients map out a simple plan to restore their health and heal their gut. (Avoiding the reactive foods is never enough to promote lasting healing and to get real results!)
Because health begins in our intestines (aka “gut”), we have to remove the problematic foods/food chemicals first to restore their intestinal, and, overall health.
Is your Superfood Making you Sick?
It’s been interesting to see how even “superfoods” and supplements that someone is consuming for “health” are actually causing inflammation for them. (Coconut oil, turmeric, apples, garlic, and onions have all been culprits for some of my clients!). It further confirms to me that there is no one “right diet” for everyone! (Heads up: Your superfood could be making you sick!!)
I am thrilled that most of my clients have had some pretty drastic health improvements in just 14 days of working with me on their personalized food plan! (Who wouldn’t want a 50-75% reduction in symptoms in just 14-days using a food-as-medicine approach?!)
Here’s what one mama told me this week:
I have now completed two weeks of my LEAP plan diet and I am amazed at the differences that I feel. My energy level has definitely come up and my mental ability to deal with day-to-day stresses has also increased.
I feel less foggy and have lost 6 pounds!
It has not been the easiest thing I have ever done but the results and the way I feel make it completely worth it.
The changes I have already felt make me very hopeful for the future and more healing to take place.
I am very thankful for Bethany and this program!
Between helping my clients come up with tasty recipes and figuring out what to feed my own family, my kitchen has been one big experiment lately! So, I wanted to share with you an easy recipe for a frosty dairy-free treat that I created just this afternoon.
This slushie would be a great treat to have on hand for after school, farm work, or soccer games — a bit of a protein boost + hydrating fluid & helpful electrolytes.
Plus, it boasts a lovely pink color without having to add one speck of artificial food dye! (Don’t even get me started on food dyes!!)
I don’t typically use protein powder — I prefer to use whole foods as much as possible. But, this grass-fed protein has been an easy way for me to make sure my Farmer has enough protein to keep his blood sugar levels stable throughout the day (and you should just see his lovely nails!!)
- 1 ripe banana
- 15 frozen strawberries (about 1 cup) or frozen peaches, blueberries, or raspberries if reactive to strawberries
- 8 ice cubes (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup 100% pure coconut water (Aldi's) - or nut milk if on your food plan
- ½ cup hot water (if using frozen fruit)
- 1 tablespoon grass fed collagen/gelatin powder (I used NuNaturals Grass-Fed Collagen) - or allowed protein powder (optional)
- Add all ingredients in the order listed to a high powered blender (like a Vitamix).
- Blend on high for 15-20 seconds until smooth (may require additional time for a standard blender)
- Pour into 2 glasses or pint-sized mason jars to serve. Add a fun straw!
- Sip to your health!
- Have a little left over? Freeze in a mason jar (just allow about 1 inch of air space at the top -- don't we all need a little space sometimes?) Hide the container somewhere behind the bags of frozen broccoli so you can be sure to find it when you need a frosty treat!
How to Source our Favorite Things:
- Bananas (available at grocery stores nationwide!) I never buy organic when I can get these for $0.33/lb at Aldi’s!
- Frozen strawberries – go organic or know your farmer!! Strawberries are listed as the top pesticide containing fruit in 2017 by the Environmental Working Group. I buy these naturally grown frozen strawberries from Azure Standard (10 lbs wholesome fruit/$23.75). Here’s the link.
- 100% Pure coconut water – I found my container at Aldi’s – anyone else want to chime in with a good place to buy?
- Grass Fed Collagen/gelatin powder from Grass-fed Beef – I used NuNaturals Grass-Fed Collagen Powder that I ordered from Azure Standard (here’s the link). Not a bad deal at $13.30 for 14 oz!
Plus, I can’t help but mention my Vitamix Blender — it’s an absolutely invaluable tool in my kitchen these days!! Grab your factory refurbished model for a fraction of the price of a new blender. (It still has a 5 year factory warranty!)
Want to find out how to get to the root of your health concerns and turn your health around in just 14 days?
Drop me a line at Bethany@ingrainedliving.com. Let’s schedule a FREE Nutrition Strategy Session to chat and see how I can help you build lasting health!
Here’s to Wholesome!